J. Robert Hunter, director of insurance for the Consumer Federation of America, recommends knowing exactly what’s covered by your car insurance policy. If a natural disaster happens, you want to be covered, especially if you live in areas prone to floods, high winds, earthquakes or other calamities. Hunter talks about comprehensive coverage, sometimes known as “other than collision” insurance, that “covers many things that could happen in a storm, including water or flood damage, falling objects including trees, signs and such, and wind damage.” He says that newer cars usually have this coverage, but he advises drivers with older models to have it as well.

Continue to original source.